Equity and Justice
The mission of the WSBA is to serve the public and members of the Bar, to ensure integrity of the profession and to champion justice. Guided by the mission and under the authority of the Supreme Court as outlined in General Rule 12.2, the WSBA works to promote diversity and equality in the courts and the legal profession and promote an effective legal system accessible to all. The WSBA has signed on to the Race Equity and Justice Initiative’s Acknowledgements and Commitments, which provides further guidance on how the organization approaches equity and inclusion. The WSBA’s Equity and Justice Team delivers on WSBA’s mission and commitments by:
- Serving the diverse members of the public, especially those who cannot access justice because of poverty or other forms of marginalization.
- Equipping and supporting WSBA members to serve the public, especially those who cannot access justice because of poverty or other forms of marginalization.
- Advancing a legal profession that is diverse and inclusive for members and prospective members especially those who are underrepresented in the legal profession
- Supporting the WSBA to operate in ways that align with its stated values of justice, diversity, inclusion and equity.
The Equity and Justice Team manages the WSBA’s diversity, equity and inclusion and pro bono and public service programs, and also supports the work of the Access to Justice Board, Council on Public Defense, Diversity Committee and the Pro Bono and Public Service Committee.
Access to Justice Board
Recognizing that access to the civil justice system is a fundamental right, the Access to Justice Board (ATJ Board) works to achieve equal access for those facing economic and other significant barriers. The ATJ Board was established by the Washington Supreme Court in 1994 at the request of the Washington State Bar Association Board of Governors in response to a growing need to coordinate access to justice efforts in Washington. To learn more, visit the ATJ Board online here or email email@example.com.
Council on Public Defense
The Council on Public Defense (CPD) unites representatives of the bar, private and public criminal defense attorneys, current and former prosecutors, the bench, elected officials and the public to address new and recurring challenges that impact the public defense system. To learn more, visit the CPD online here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The WSBA is committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion within the legal profession. In 2013, the Bar approved the Diversity and Inclusion Plan which outlines WSBA’s strategy for delivering on its commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Learn more about this work at the links below.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Events
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Resources
- Diversity and Inclusion Plan and Diversity Data
- Diversity Committee
- Minority and Specialty Bar Associations
For questions, contact email@example.com.
Public Service and Pro Bono
To deliver on the Washington State Bar Association's mission, the WSBA seeks to enhance the culture of service through public service and pro bono opportunities. Learn more about this work at the links below.
- Public Service and Pro Bono Volunteer Opportunities
- Moderate Means Program
- Powerful Communities Projects
- Pro Bono and Public Service Committee
- Volunteer with a Qualified Legal Services Provider
For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Washington State Bar Foundation provides financial support for the WSBA’s diversity, equity and inclusion and pro bono and public service programs.
Washington State Bar Foundation
The Washington State Bar Foundation helps fund WSBA programs that provide legal assistance to our state’s most vulnerable populations through the Powerful Communities Project; matching moderate income clients with legal professionals willing to work for reduced fees through the Moderate Means Program; and ensuring the legal profession reflects the communities it serves and supports all members. Learn more about the Foundation online here or email email@example.com.